Thursday, February 13, 2014

Adventures with Allen: Unexpected Blessings

Often times people associate blessings with monetary value, but if you understand the concept of blessings you know that it has nothing to do with it...follow me. They say you don't know what you've got until it's gone, that saying couldn't be truer. Although I am still working with him, I find myself missing him on the weekends and currently, snow days. He has enriched my life in more ways than one, and I am more appreciative of so much more because of him.

It never seizes to amaze me how God works. He orchestrated things unbeknownst to you, and eventually... it all makes sense. I initially had no idea why God had picked me to work with Allen, but as time as past, now 5 months later, the message is so clear.

The beauty about our relationship is we feed off of each other. There are so many unspoken things between us that just magically syncs. When walking, he likes to have his arm intertwined in mine, like old gentlemen, only in reverse (I guess I am the man lol); And when one arm gets tired he likes to switch to the other side, at first I had no idea what he was doing, but now it's like second nature to switch spots with him. And he's so funny, we often just look at each other and laugh. Let's not forget his singing chops ! When I met him he wanted the radio off, often telling me "Turn that off, I don't like music"; Now he wants it loud so he can hear it, dance and sing along lol.

I guess more than anything we are more comfortable with each other. I have grown to love him, and as my Mom has noticed, I am very protective over him lol. He's basically the little brother I never had, so that's just basic instinct with me in regards to people I love. The thing I love most  about our relationship is we get each other, and it's genuine... especially from his end. When he misses me, he's gonna say it. When he's happy, he's gonna show it. And when he's upset he's gonna let me know and show it lol. It's refreshing to have complete acceptance, and an unbreakable friendship.

Allen is a rare gem. He doesn't let his disability define him, or deter him. I think that his strength and intelligence is beyond what was expected of him. And I'm just grateful to be apart of his life, he has definitely marked a spot on my heart. There is always someone appreciative with less than you have, so be grateful and find the beauty in each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment