Thursday, December 5, 2013

Adventures with Allen: Good outweighing Bad

While I have so many stories I could share about Allen, I rarely write about it because I often struggle with privacy (even though I changed his name for that very reason) and offending someone. It's not "cool" to talk about someone abnormal, and there's always that risk of controversy. But there's so much depth in an "anti-normal" person, it's hard not to want to write about it.

As I've said previously, I never imagined working with a child with Prader Willi Syndrome. But I know that everything happens for a reason, and in knowing so, I know that the experiences I share with him aren't in vain. I've grown to love Allen and have become very protective of him like family. He's so easy to love, and I love that he isn't normal, because as I always say: "Normal is boring" and boring Allen is not lol.

More than anything he's taught me how to cherish the good days, because when things are good it's great, but when things are bad they are BAD ! lol Today is a perfect example of a great day with Allen. I didn't work yesterday due to a cold that forced me to stay in bed all day; but when I came today, he was so happy to see me, and kept thanking me for coming. He said he'd missed me and I have to admit I missed him as well. What amazed me the most was that he was so appreciative and grateful to have me in his life, when at times it doesn't seem like it.

If nothing else, Allen is genuine. This is one of many things I love about him, he's not gonna be fake, and he's gonna tell you how he feels even if you don't want to hear it lol. When he hugs me in that bear-hug-death-grip only Allen can, I know it's from the heart. And in contrast, when he's upset or angry trust me you will know it ! lol And all in the same, if he's happy he will show it. While it's hard to guess what he's thinking or his next spontaneous move or attitude may be, there is no question when it comes to authenticity.

2 comments: