Thursday, January 16, 2014

Adventures with Allen: Altered Perspective

It's been a while since I wrote about Allen, but our bond is strengthened daily. I've grown to love him, all of him: the good, bad, and unexpected lol. He's a rare gem and I couldn't ask for a more genuine person to be around 5 days out of the week.

As you know, Allen has Prader-Will Syndrome, and while he is 17, most days his mentality is very child-like (that of an 8 year old) often watching PBS kids shows or one of his favorites, riding the train at the mall... and other days he is a typical teenage boy questioning everything and in Allen's case, being a "connoisseur" of life ! (He knows everything and he is always right, no matter what ! lol). I have two prime examples from this week alone:
 1. We go on walks daily, and the girls track team from his school were running along the same path as us Tuesday. He usually gives the boys track team a high-5 when they run past, so I didn't know how he would respond to the girls. To my surprise he was wayyy more comfortable with the girls, even picking out a cute Latino girl with long brunette hair and black running shorts lol. After giving the girls high-5 he says to me: "Candis, I like girls" I say: "you do? that's cool." He says "I want to date one !". It was the cutest thing to me, but he was so serious lol.
 2. Yesterday, we encountered the same girls, and when he saw "black shorts" his eyes lit up. After she ran by and gave him a high-5, he burst into laughter as his face turned red and he said "Candis that was my girlfriend" I swear it was THE cutest thing, you had to be there. Needless to say " black shorts" was a very short lived girlfriend, as we ran into 3 girls walking home from school with a runaway dog they were returning. He broke away from my grip (we often walk arm-in-arm) and walked with them, asking them about the dog (he loves animals, dog especially). Once we saw the exchange from stranger-to-owner, the girls continued home and Allen began to sing/scream the words to Jhene' Aiko's- The Worst (aka his favorite song lol) I don't mean to I don't mean to I don't mean to I don't mean to... but I looovveeeee you and even added his own little remix and I wanna take you on a dateeeeee and marry you !

It's so funny seeing him interact with kids his age, girls especially. When I met him his girlfriends were: Miley Cyrus (The Hannah Montana version lol), Seleena Gomez, Topanga (from boy meets world), and iCarly: And while they still are, they are slowly fading in the mist lol. It's so different seeing him take interest in girls within his vicinity. I can say, I never imagine doing this type of work, but one thing for sure is that there is never a dull moment with this guy, his spontaneity meter is through the roof ! lol

*** Hope you guys enjoyed as much as I did writing it, have a blessed rest of the day, I love all my Ryders... muchos besos !

No comments:

Post a Comment