Thursday, November 14, 2013

Celebrating a Legend !

Today would have been my late grandfather's 73rd birthday. For those that don't know, my family and I lost him to lung cancer only three short months ago. But I not only lost my grandfather... I lost a father and a hero. Every time I see the actor Morgan Freeman I think of him, I would always tell Pa Pa they look alike and he'd reply "Yeah but I'm prettier". Just thinking of his narcissism makes me smile, he always exuded confidence, and such charm and love for life.

When I think back on how significant he was on my life, words cannot begin to describe my gratitude. He was a father figure to so many people, yet biologically he only had three children, all girls. I think of how he married my grandmother and raised her two kids from a previous marriage like his own. I think of all the countless Christmas' and birthday's he helped provide for me. I think of how Pa Pa was everything to my cousin's and I that didn't have active fathers. There are so many memories of talks I would have with him about life and endless possibilities. I think of how he had to drop out of school his senior year and attain a full time job to provide for his mom and siblings, after she got hurt on the job. Most of all, I think of all the sacrifices he made for people and never complained. If there was one sure thing I knew I had, it was my Pa Pa.

Even now, my fondest memories would be going to visit him and just enjoying his company. Or when he would come spend the weekend with my mom and I occasionally, and I would cook for him; I miss just watching football and eating with him. He'd always say "I know you love me if nobody else does". And he'd always take my side if I had a disagreement with my mom, whether I was right or wrong lol, I knew he was gonna hold me down. Such beautiful memories I have to cherish for the rest of my life; Memories of moments past.

I am so grateful to have met such an amazing person; and to have had him for the first 24 years of my life. He taught me so much without saying, but through his actions. He was always there, to keep it real even if you didn't want to hear it lol. Always making people laugh and feel loved. Always being his charming self. Although it saddens me that he is no longer here, I am overjoyed that he doesn't have to suffer anymore. I am even quite envious that he has transitioned and reunited with so many family members. But I am thrilled that my newest guardian angel is someone I know without a doubt had my back since the day I was born. There is so much comfort in knowing that every step of the way he will be there to protect me and see my growth. I only hope I can continue his legacy and be as great a person as he was. If you are ever granted the opportunity to meet someone half as amazing as my Pa Pa, consider yourself lucky. Pa Pa was a rare gem and although he is gone, his presence is still gleaming beautifully.

Here's to you Pa Pa ! Happy Birthday to the best man that's ever been in my life, the only consistent father figure I've ever known, and a legend possessing so many wonderful traits. I celebrate your day and your essence.... no one can take away; You are everything... and everything is you !

No comments:

Post a Comment